Email Management Tutorial
Get your email priorities right! Follow our Email Management Tutorial to keep you emails organised.
Use the four D’s
- Do ...immediately action the email
- Delete ...Delete the email
- Delegate ...Give the action to another individual
- Defer ...Flag or save it for reference at a later stage
Be CLEAR and CONCISE
- Use alternatives to email – i.e. instant messenger, the telephone or even your feet!
- Don't use 'Reply All'
- Push back - if you are getting irrelevant email, contact the sender
- Improve your Outlook skills and understanding of the tools available – receive Training
- Use the Out of Office feature in Outlook
- Don't be a slave to email - set aside time slots to deal with email
- Remember - email generates email. Send less and you'll receive less
- Manage your emails folders effectively and establish email rules
Get your Priorities right!
Prioritising your emails should be high on the list of email management.
Return to Top
Use the features
Learn the features available to you….
Return to Top
- Auto-Signature… learn and use auto-signature to identify your full name, position and contact details to all email recipients
- To Do List… Understand how to use this tool to assist you in your way of working.
- Meeting Manager… Do you have control of your meetings? Can you view the availability of participants. Can you see the status of meetings and the number of responses? Do you send reminders?
- Folders… Think about your file set-up, does it work for you, have you naming conventions in place? Be consistent!
- Archiving… Dependant on your corporate configuration, ensure you operate a strong housekeeping ethos.
- Use Find… Outlook has its own search feature
- Auto Rules… Filter emails arriving in your inbox. Move them to specific folders, delete, alert etc.
Flag for follow-up… Apply a reminder to an email
Did you know you can improve your email management by sorting your emails via colours?
- Automatically colour incoming email based on your criteria. For example: emails sent directly to you are blue
Look after your emails
If you have any questions, about our Email Management Tutorial, or you would like to make any suggestions about how we can improve our tutorials, please let us know.
Return from Email Management Tutorial to Free Online Computer Training
Return to Top of Page